Sunday, September 3, 2023

RIP Jimmy Buffett

    Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call

Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tallYou've seen it all, you've seen it all
Watched the men who rode you, switch from sails to steamAnd in your belly, you hold the treasures few have ever seenMost of 'em dream, most of 'em dream
Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred years too lateThe cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunderI'm an over-forty victim of fateArriving too late, arriving too late
I've done a bit of smugglin', and I've run my share of grassI made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away so fastNever meant to last, never meant to last
And I have been drunk now for over two weeksI passed out and I rallied and I sprung a few leaksBut I got to stop wishin', got to go fishin'Down to rock bottom againJust a few friends, just a few friends
I go for younger women, lived with several a whileThough I ran 'em away, they'd come back one dayStill could manage to smileJust takes a while, just takes a while
Mother, mother ocean, after all the years I've foundMy occupational hazard being my occupation's just not aroundI feel like I've drowned, gonna head uptownI feel like I've drowned, gonna head uptown   

No comments: